Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Honey...On the Bum

Yup. This first post should give an indicator of what kinds of things interest me.

Honey has got to be one of the best things in the world, and it has so many uses. My sister-in-law told me about putting it on the pad or adult diapers a mother wears right after she has a baby so that any healing down there goes more smoothly. It worked great for me for both of my kids (two tears with the first, and stretching for the second) AND it was comfortable. I was horrified that the honey would get all stuck in the hair and be smooshy and icky. But it wasn't. It kept any open areas from sticking to the pad/diaper, and it was cool, which was refreshing and nice after the burning of the delivery. I just kept a honey bear next to my squeeze bottle, and would put some on the pad before pulling up my undies! Voila!

I was pretty lucky about my kids' bums--no bad or lingering diaper rashes for either. I don't know if honey played an important role in limiting the duration of the rash, but I did put honey right on their bums after diaper changes at the FIRST sign of a rash, and by the next diaper change, all signs would be gone. One diaper rash for my daughter did linger, so I just...used more honey! Each diaper change, with plenty of airing out time between diapers. Their bums were easy to clean during diaper changes, no sticky-icky to wash off.

So there we have it. First post. About one of my favorite yummies in the world!

2 comments:

  1. I will let you know in a few months how this works for me but I will definitely try it. I have heard of using witch hazel during this time as well. Did you use it in conjuction with the honey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, yes, I did use it. I put some on a cotton pad and gently dabbed the perineum area. I haven't heard of other ways to use it. What have you heard?

      Delete